The City of El Centro has approved a new Garage Sale Ordinance that will be effective on January 20, 2023. A garage sale permit is still required to hold a garage sale. The garage sale permit is free of charge. A violation of the ordinance will result in an infraction and will be enforced through the administrative citation process. The first citation will have a fine of $100.
What residents should know:
- Residents are required to obtain a permit to hold a garage sale. The permit is issued free of charge.
- No more than one (1) permit will be issued to the same person or for the same address within any calendar month.
- Garage sales may take place over two (2) consecutive days.
- Signs advertising a garage sale shall not be posted on public property, public right-of-way, utility poles, or street sign poles. Other restrictions apply.
- Sale of items purchased for the purpose of resale are prohibited.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT:
Community Development Department
Code Enforcement Division
1275 W Main St. El Centro, CA 92243