How to file a Public Records Act Request
The City of El Centro has a Public Records Portal (NextRequest) that allows anyone to submit a request, correspond with City staff, and track requests online. The portal also allows users to search for published public records requests and documents.
General Information about Public Records Requests
- Requests will be provided electronically for free, when possible.
- Paper copies are 25 cents first page, and any additional page is 10 cents per page plus postage costs.
- There is no charge for inspecting records in person.
- Public records are open to in person inspection during regular City office hours, except for City Holidays, and subject to a rule of reason and must be consistent with the efficient functioning of City Offices. Advanced notice is not required however, records may be located off-site, require redaction of confidential information, and may require time to locate as they may be in multiple locations, so it is advisable to contact the City Clerk’s Office to make sure records are available before arrival. If not immediately available, the City Clerk’s office will set up an appointment for the inspection.
- In order to prevent records from being lost, damaged or destroyed during inspection, City staff may determine the location of, and may monitor the inspection.
*Requests for public records can also be submitted by mail, email or in person to the City Clerk’s Office.