Effective September 1, 2020, the City of El Centro will now be issuing Yard Sales Permits and enforcing citations to those who do not have a permit.
Garage Sale Ordinance – Effective July 5th, it is mandatory to obtain a City permit prior to conducting a garage/yard sale. A violation of the ordinance will result in an infraction and will be enforced through the administrative citation process. The first citation will have a fine of $100.
As of January 20, 2023 the City of El Centro has approved a new ordinance with changes regarding garage sales.
- Residents are still required to obtain a permit to hold a garage sale. The permit is free of charge.
- No more than one (1) permit will be issued to the same person or for the same address within any calendar month. You can have 12 garage sales a year.
- Garage sales may take place over two (2) consecutive days.
- Signs advertising a garage sale shall not be posted on public property, public right-of-way, utility poles, or street sign poles.
- Sale of items purchased for the purpose of resale are prohibited. Other restrictions apply.